“In games, your gun is player agency made manifest.”
Iconic Arms looks at the history of famous weapons like the double-barreled shotgun, AK-47, M16, the Magnum, their place in popular culture and how their performance characteristics and functionality have been tweaked – sometimes radically – for more balanced gameplay.
Though I’m no fan of guns, I particularly love the graphics in this series with their flat colourful silhouette shapes, bold uber-tightly kerned Helvetica and fast diagonal wipes.
- Open World Origins, also by Stuart Brown: What was the first truly open world game? What other titles set the standard along the way? And what makes them so popular today?
- How to script and record narration for video, also by Stuart Brown.
- The Best Amendment, a game about gun control.
- Other Places, a series celebrating beautiful video game worlds.
- Tropes vs Women in Video Games: The second episode of Anita Sarkeesian’s series exploring the Women as Background Decoration trope in video games.
- This is Phil Fish, a case study in internet celebrity.
- The History of Helvetica, A fascinating history of the creation and adoption of this ubiquitous Swiss font.